Friday, June 16, 2017

MLS Database

As promised, I've finally got started on making this somewhat cleaned MLS database organized for others to use.  It still needs work and I'll be updating it over the summer so let me know if there's something specific you'd like to have or need explained in a readme file I haven't yet written.  Most of the older stats came from the kindness of Chris Edgemon, who scraped the original data from MLS's sites.  If you're looking for an interactive online database for stats and don't need seasons after 2014, you should just go to his site.

Chris told me of some known errors in the data set and that's what I've spent the last couple years combing through.  I also added more information such as whether or not a goal scored in minute 46 was the first minute of extra time in the first half or the first minute of the second half.  My database also has information on Generation Adidas Players, Designated Players, homegrown players, and salaries.  So if you're looking for something to import into Stata, R, etc., then this database is for you.

I don't have an official website yet to host the database so I'm linking it to an online drive.  Turns out, websites cost money.  Of course if the clunkiness of blogger.com and google drive offends you enough to throw money at me, I'll make it go away and replace it with a nice looking site to host the data.  If not, enjoy the data and please let me know if you find errors or have suggestions.

Click here for access to the folder that has the SQL database as well as the separate CSV for those of you that have as much trouble as I do getting SQL databases to "open" or "connect" or whatever it is they're supposed to do when other people who are not me use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment